Friday, September 21, 2012

ACtA: Star Fleet - Kzinti Test Model

Hey Folks,

I have been quite busy but I have managed to get hooked by yet ANOTHER game system.
A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

Which I blame entirely on Jamie's Children and a test game with our Star Wars fleets subbing for Star Trek in truly Geektastic fashion.

Now initially I was dead keen on Klingon's, but alas Austerity Measures (and my vast amount of other half finished projects) meant that I really shouldnt buy anything new.

Not to be deterred I fell back on my plan B: Build my Own fleet.  Now I am blessed with an extensive bits box which I have accumulated over many years and many different games systems.  I also really enjoy scratch building, like when I built my Orks for Epic

Now looking through the book apparently in the Star Fleet Battles ships have "drones", which are good old fashion Battlestar Galactica style Nuclear Missiles.  I like nukes, and so do the Kzinti;

 Now Space Tigers in Purple and Pink (apparently as the designer was colour blind and it was supposed to be Green...) are kind of silly, and alas, so are their ships;

Kind of 'meh' - the triangular wing things are the"Drone" launchers

Now I have always loved this game;

And my favourite ship is the Vaygar Destroyer as its asymmetrical - and packs a mean punch with its Anti-Ship Missiles from a off-set Vertical Launch System  - sounds perfect for Kzinti!

So Ideally I wanted this sort of style - but Trekked up so as to fit for when I am fighting Jamie's Fed's.  This meant it had to have some sort of deflector dish and warp engine nacelles - but otherwise I was pretty free.

Here is what I have come up with - my first Kzinti cruiser.  Depending on the actual size and mass of the Federation ships this will either be a Heavy Cruiser or a Battlecrusier.  Its 103mm long (so probably Battlecrusier weight)  from the prow sensors to the aft nacelles and is about 45mm wide so would mass a fair bit. The base is a 60mm base.

Spot the parts!







I'm looking forward to trying him out!

Cheers
Jason


6 comments:

Jamie said...

Good pointer, about the Kilrathi, eh? I like the clawlike design, the paneling and the paint-job. Very nice reference to stripes but not overdone. I keep having to try not to see the BA-64 in there but it has provided a very good core to the ship. Most importantly, it is a couple of orders of magnitude cooler looking than the 'proper models'.

Nice job!

Unknown said...

Did you spot the SdKfz 251?... :)

Got two frigates in the pipe. They are about half the size but look nasty!

Jamie said...

Aaaaah - now I can't un-see it! Looking forward to seeing what the frigates look like. How are you doing the fleet ship mix? Mish-mash like mine or some 'standard cruisers' and 'standard frigates'? Surely at least a DN? :) That blade off to the side of the rear hull has really improved the design over the original IMO - given the ship some width but kept the asymmetrical claw character and they look pretty sweet now.

Unknown said...

Ahaha

Me being me it will be a "reasonable" mix, so a couple of Frigates, a light Crusier, some Crusiers, and either a Heavy Battle Crusier OR a DN. Its actually more how balanced it looks on my shelf...but I am funny that way!

Frigates are built any awaiting undercoating. They look - spikey.

Next up a couple of Crusiers.

bikewrench said...

That's awesome dude. Kitbashtastic!
I was just kinda mumbling to myself ,"don't have any proper spacecraft models..."

Off to parts box...

Anonymous said...

I love what you guys tend to be up too. This kind
of clever work and coverage! Keep up the very good works guys I've incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

my homepage - weightloss diet